Digital History | Fashion History Timeline

Posted in online learning, resources by internjmb on March 10, 2018

From the Fashion History Timeline, a project by FIT’s History of Art Department:

◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊

The Fashion History Timeline is an open-access source for fashion history knowledge, featuring objects and artworks from over a hundred museums and libraries that span the globe. The Timeline website offers well-researched, accessibly written entries on specific artworks, garments and films for those interested in fashion and dress history. Started as a pilot project by Fashion Institute of Technology art history faculty and students in the Fall of 2015, the Timeline aims to be an important contribution to public knowledge of the history of fashion and to serve as a constantly growing and evolving resource not only for students and faculty, but also for the wider world of those interested in fashion and dress history–from the Renaissance scholar to the simply curious.

Tomasso Brothers Fine Art at TEFAF 2018

Posted in Art Market by Editor on March 10, 2018

Giovanni Battista Cipriani, Castor and Pollux, 1783, oil on canvas, 275 × 316cm.

◊  ◊  ◊  ◊  ◊

Tomasso Brothers Fine Art at TEFAF
Maastricht, 8–18 March 2018

Tomasso Brothers Fine Art is pleased to report a number of significant sales at the TEFAF early access day, 8 March 2018, including a large oil on canvas by Giovanni Battista Cipriani (1727–1785) depicting Castor and Pollux that sold to a private collector within moments of the Fair’s opening. The asking price was in the region of 425,000€. This impressive neoclassical work was commissioned in 1783 by George Walpole, 3rd Earl of Orford for the Saloon at Houghton Hall along with two further mythological scenes. It remained in situ at Houghton until well in to the 20th century when it was purchased by The Rt. Hon. John Armar Lowry-Corry, 8th Earl Belmore of Castle Coole, Enniskillen and placed on public display.

The gallery also made an important sale to a new buyer, a private European collector, of a pair of monumental marble lion groups attributed to Giovanni Battista Foggini (1652–1725) and his workshop. Depicting a lion attacking a horse and a lion attacking a bull, the pair was offered for a price in the region of 1.75 million€.

Equestrian Monument of Emperor Marcus Aurelius, marble, after the antique bronze now in the Musei Capitolini (Rome, 18th century).

The works featured by Tomasso Brothers Fine Art at this year’s TEFAF Maastricht are inspired by Rome and classical Italy, dating from the ancient to the neoclassical. Other highlights include:
• The Forbes of Pitsligo Vases in white marble with corresponding plinths, attributed to Lorenzo Bartolini (1777–1850) made in Florence, ca. 1815–1830.
• An imposing Equestrian Monument of Emperor Marcus Aurelius in statuary marble, after the antique bronze now in the Musei Capitolini (Rome, 18th century).
• An exquisite Carrara marble sculpture by Cav. Emanuele Caroni (1826–after 1895) L’Amour Vainqueur de la Force, The Triumph of Love over Strength (Florence, ca. 1867).

Tomasso Brothers’ stand features original wallpaper designed by the gallery in-house. The design was inspired by the roman painted walls discovered in the region of the Bay of Naples, but perhaps most specifically, by a particular wall originating from the Villa di Agrippa Postumus at Boscotrecase (ca. 1st century BC – 1st century AD), which was painted in the ‘Third’ or ‘Ornate’ style of ancient wall fresco design, that flourished during the reign of Augustus. The idea of placing old master paintings and sculptures within a beautiful decorative scheme inspired by discoveries made at Pompeii and Herculaneum is essentially neoclassical in spirit, following the tradition established by the great architects and interior designers of the eighteenth century such as James ‘Athenian’ Stuart (1713–1788) for Spencer House, London (1759); Robert Adam (1728–1792) perhaps most notably at London’s Kenwood House, Osterley Park and Syon House; Joseph Bonomi (1739–1808) for Packington Hall, Warwickshire; and Sir John Soane (1753–1837) for the ‘Council Chamber’ at London’s Guildhall (1777).